If you missed this year’s expo, you missed a ton of information passed down to referees, coached, and management sides of AYSO. I will try to recap for those who couldn’t make it, and tell you to really try to get to next year’s.
During the Law Changes [including USSF Modifications] we found out that AYSO will:
- Change 6U to 4 v 4, and is changing field and goal sizes. No referees are recommended. Also found out Sunday [today] no throw-ins, they will kick in.
- Change 8U to 4 v 4, changing field and goal sizes. No referees are recommended, but yes, you can use youth referees at this division. Also NO throw-ins, but kick-ins.
- Change 10U to no punting by the keeper. Build out lines [if you don’t know what they are, contact me] will be used as soon as all the coaches, referees and management are trained on them. [Basically the other team has to back away when the keeper makes a save or a goal kick, but again, much more to it than that]
- Regions are voting on if to use calendar date, or the school date for player registration. See your board on this, but it will impact inter-regional play and Extra play.
Upcoming training that I know about:
- March 4th Area E Cedar Rapids
- Basic and Intermediate Classes
- March 11th and 12th Area D Skokie
- Online companion course [1 Saturday, 1 Sunday], Intermediate, Advanced, and Advanced Instructor
- Sunday February 19 from 1-5 PM Region 1206 Chicago Northside
- Sunday March 19 from 1-5 PM
- Online Companion Courses
- March 18/19 Region 418 Lakefront
- March 25/26
- April 1/2
- Online Companion Course
- March 11th, Area C Palos Heights
- Online Companion Course
Section Referee Numbers:
- Badge 2016 2015 2014 Trend
- National 19 18 22 +1
- National 2 3 2 2 +1
- Advanced 46 53 57 -7
- Intermediate 85 87 103 -2
- Regional 590 645 709 -55
- Total 746 805 893 -59 -7%
We need to recruit and retain referees. The referees we have should work on working their way up, as the better trained they are, the better off the kids are. If you need a class, contact your area Referee Administrator, or Section Staff.
- Anyone can submit a good sportsmanship candidate.
- Email me at: Runen@Comcast.net
- If I agree, I will send a patch to give to the player. [Several Regions went ahead and bought their own patches]
- In November, all winner will be considered for the Section Sportsperson of the Year, and a trophy will be given at the Section Expo
- Remember, this is for above and beyond acts of Good Sportsmanship. However, we do want to encourage it as much as possible.
- Side Note: I have not said No to a Good Sportsmanship patch yet.
Also note, this year’s award winner was Kenna Kurth. This young lady set the perfect example of excellent sportsmanship and now her entire team is emulating her. I was proud to award this year’s trophy to her. [From Cedar Rapids, Iowa]
National Referee Course
August 11th, 12th, and 13th are the dates, and it will be held in the Chicagoland Area. If you have an advanced referee who is interested in becoming National Level, please contact Tom Severin.
|Age:||Minimum of 18.|
|No. of Games:||100 as a referee with at least 30 in U-16 and U-19 matches of which at least 15 must be in U-19, if available, and 25 as Assistant Referee with at least 10 in U-19, if available. The Section Referee Administrator may authorize substitution of U-16 for U-19, if U-19 matches are not available.|
|Training:||Complete National Referee Course. A pre-requisite game count of at least 80 matches as referee prior to attending the National Referee Course is required.|
|Testing:||90% or better on the National Referee Exam.|
|Assessment:||Two assessments as referee in U-16 or U-19 with at least one in U-19, if available, and one as assistant referee in a U-19 match, if available. The Section Referee Administrator may authorize substitution of U-16 for U-19, if U-19 matches are not available.|
|Fitness Test:||Complete the AYSO Physical Fitness Test for this level.|
Section Staff Contacts:
Section Referee Administrator: Tim Orosz firstname.lastname@example.org
Section Director of Referee Instruction Tom Severin email@example.com
Section Director of Referee Assessment Rich Goldberg firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need an observation or assessment, please let Rich Goldberg know and he will get things setup with you.
Last, if you attended this year’s Expo, THANK YOU. I heard nothing but excellent comments about the referee presentations, and I hope you learned a lot both in the classrooms and after hours talking with your peers.
Hope to see you next year!